Watch WEEKLY for each new old

'Throwback Thursday' publication

and scroll for more 'Throwbacks'...

March 16, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1923

2023 Marks, 100th Anniversary of the FARMALL TRACTOR

International engineers worked from the time of WW I

to make a truly universal tractor.


It would be able to have front, mid or rear-mounted implements and a pioneering tricycle front end for steering. 


Farmall was innovative in tractor design in many ways.


Model MD, in the early 1940s, was the first commercial tractor to start on gas and run on diesel.


In the 1950s, they produced the first tractors with torque amplifiers and the first 2-wheel drive tractor to exceed 100 horsepower.


In the early 1950s they produced their 1 millionth tractor,

a model M, and reached 5 million in 1974.

Some early models were gray, but in 1937 all models changed to the red that continues to be used today.


The change to red was for appearance and safety, since it improved visibility while they were being driven on roads to the fields.

The model H was widely used in Clearfield County.

There were 390,000 units produced nationwide during the 14-year production life from 1939 to 1954.   


     Photo #1 - Early Farmall Tractor.

                         (Iron wheels)
     Photo #2 - Farmall tractor on

                         Meckley Bros. Farm in LaJose, 1951.
     Photo #3-  Farmall 'M' tractor on

                        Harry Gearhart’s farm.
     Photo #4 - Farmall 'H' tractor bailing at

                         Blair Porter’s, July 1944.
     Photo #5 - Farmall 'H' tractor cutting corn silage at                         

                          Paul Forcey’s, September 1947.
     Photo #6 - Farmall 'H' tractor cutting grain on

                         W. V. Carr Farm, July 1944.

March 9, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1923

DuBois Maple Avenue Hospital - 

Pheobe Reed Tyler Memorial Nurses' Home

Celebrating Women’s History Month ...
                      Phebe Reed Tyler

The Maple Avenue Hospital in DuBois was granted a charter by the Court of Common Pleas of Clearfield County on May 6, 1912.  The land and $10,000 were donated by John E. DuBois for the development of the hospital.  The doors to Maple Avenue Hospital were opened on October 8, 1918.  

The Articles of Incorporation included “The educating and instructing of persons in the art of nursing.”  Phebe Tyler, being a woman of broad education, pledged $15,000 to be used for the Phebe Reed Tyler Memorial Nurses’ Home. When the initial donation was found to be insufficient, Phebe contributed more money and managed the project until it was completed even though she was mainly confined to her bed. The Phoebe Reed Tyler Memorial Nurses’ Home was opened in July 1923.  

At the time it opened, the building contained rooms for two students with running water in every room, baths, both shower and bathtubs.  There were private rooms for the supervisors, a large living room with fireplace, library and music room along with a comfortable porch.  The nursing school was affiliated with the Western Pennsylvania and Allegheny General Hospitals of Pittsburgh and by the Presbyterian Hospital of Philadelphia.  

Phebe Tyler was born April 10, 1843, the daughter of David and Isabell (Mahaffey) Tyler.  The village of Tyler was named for her father, one of the pioneer families that settled in Huston Township in 1848. David Tyler, realizing that his family should have a good education, employed a governess for his daughters, and Miss Phebe learned speak French and German with fluency. 
Miss Tyler also contributed greatly to welfare and charity.  She was an active member of the Presbyterian Church of Penfield and in her own community.  No one ever went by her home who was in need that was not helped.  

In the speech she delivered at the dedication for the Nurses’ Home, it was reported in The DuBois Express Miss Tyler said, “This building I have built, not for show, glory or advertisement, but for a nurses’ home.  For of all people who deserve a bed to sleep in and a place to rest, it is a nurse.”  

The building operated as a nurses’ school until 1932 when state regulations became too complicated. 

The building then served as doctors’ offices for many years. 

In 2018 the building was demolished for the expansion of the

Penn Highland DuBois East Campus Behavioral Health Hospital. 

March 2, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1972


Maple syrup season is upon us in Clearfield County.  While driving along you may spot a maple tree with a spout and bucket. The tapping of maple trees in the spring is a tradition that has been around for centuries.  
Back in the spring of 1972 Andy McKeown of Grampian explained his technique in an interview to The Progress.  Mr. McKeown gave a tour of his “sugar house” which was nestled in a grove of red maple trees.  He made his own unique two bucket shoulder yoke for carrying the tree nectar from the 50 some trees he tapped to his sugar house.  He talked about how he would strain the sap and then boil it for perhaps days at a time.  Andy said, “A lot of people don’t know we do this around here.”  He added, “The finished product tastes like…..well, it tastes like gold.”
The tradition lives on throughout the backwoods of Clearfield County.  This year a Clearfield County resident took first place at the Pennsylvania Farm Show with his maple syrup.  Scott Kolesar, of Spring Valley, produces his own syrup from a grove of sugar maples on his property in his “sugar shack”.  The next time you pour maple syrup over your stack of pancakes, you’ll definitely appreciate all the hard work.


February 23, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1972

 RAMEY, Ukraniam Church 

    If Ramey’s Saint Mary’s Annunciation Ukrainian Catholic Church’s Bell Tower Could Talk...

     One of the most beautiful structures you will see in Clearfield County is St. Mary’s Annunciation Ukrainian Catholic Church located in Ramey.

  In July of 1911, Father Peter Luchetchko with his committee consisting of Dmytro Bungo, Joseph Yaleczko and Michael Haman, contracted Gaetano Tiracordia, an Italian stonemason and contractor from Madera, PA to build the church.


    The stone was quarried in Madera and transported to Ramey via mules and wagons.  Over 200 pound cut stones (each) were lifted into place for the three story high church.  The structure was completed in 1914.

It was Sunday, May 7th, 1972, when the Ukrainian Church was just about to begin 11 am mass smoke and flames began filling the church.  Only seconds after the church had been completely evacuated by the 175 parishioners, the smoke blocked the front vestibule. Father Walter Wysochansky, pastor, said in The Progress interview, “It was a miracle!


     Thank God, that everyone got out.” The church suffered extensive damage.  Fr. Wysochansky took on the enormous task of rebuilding the burnt portions of the church.  The church was reroofed, reinsulated and plastered.  The interior was gutted and replaced.

The bell tower was near completion in July of 1973, just a little over a year after the disastrous fire. 

St. Mary’s Ukrainian Catholic Church still stands as a beacon of light in Ramey with a firm foundation and the beautiful high bell tower that has weathered many storms.

February 16, 2023 'Throwback Thursday'  to  1968

 YMCA Canoe Race

Canoe Racing on the Susquehanna River Draws Crowd
Twenty-five teams of paddlers gathered on Sunday, May 12th, 1968 to enter the water of the Susquehanna River to compete for trophies in five divisions of the First Shawnee Canoe Race.  The race was sponsored by the Clearfield YMCA to benefit Camp Shawnee.
Large crowds lined both sides of the Susquehanna River in downtown Clearfield to witness the 50 lively paddlers.  It was written in the May 13, 1968 edition of The Progress that contestants raced against the clock.  The race started at 3 pm with each canoe leaving the starting point in one minute intervals.  The race route stretched over 3 miles beginning at R.L. Zimmerman Concrete Company, now Swisher Concrete Products, two and a half miles west of Clearfield on Route 322 and the Nichols Street Bridge which was the finishing point. 
Safety precautions were taken with The Clearfield CB Radio Club and the Clearfield Boating Club on hand for rescue and communication services. Officials at the starting line were Bill Brion, E.E. Sankey, Ash Cowder, Elmer Fulesday and Art Weiss.  Judges at the finish line were Stanley Crum,

Harry Lawson, Tom Morgan and Rev. Vernon Miller.
The results were as follows:
Senior Division:

1. Terry Holt and Randy Butler, 25:40
2. Santo Ricotta and Rick Ricotta, 26:19
3. Alex Vezza and Chris Rowles, 26:32
4.  James Moore and Don Beauseigneur, 26:35
5. (Tie) Fred Wisor and Robert Maines

and James Stevens and G.R. Gobel, 27:10
6. Don Cassler and George Duckett, 27:16
7. Tom Leitzinger and Mike Reese, 27:48
8. James Armstrong and Bill Armstrong, 28:16
9.  Gilbert Hevenor and Michael Hevenor, 29:13

Junior Division:

1. Kenny Barnes and Terry McTavish, 26:48
2. George Riley and Joe Breth, 27:13
3. Paul Bowers and Jack Tylwalk, 27:18
4. Jerry Wood and Jerry Bush, 27:32
5. Lee Sunderland and Allen Sunderland, 28:01
6. John Burns and Alan Cowfer, 28:57
7. Henry Silberblatt and Werne Ziegler, 29:59
8. Jack Yingling and Steve VonGunden, 31:33
9. Rick Gray and Ken Thomas, 32:32
10. Robert Houser and Jim Owens, upset near finish line
Junior and Senior Combination Division:
1. Doug Rabe and Darlene Jury, 27:24
2. Sam Livingston and Debbie Read, 28:18
3. Sue Beard and Martha Beard, 28:54
4. Joe Santinoceto and Cindy Mann, 32:16
5. Amy Greenwood and Ken Greenwood, 33:45
Special Division – Civic Club Race-
1. Rotary Club – James Brouse and Robert Witford
2. Kiwanis’s Club – Barry Lee and Paul Yoder
3. Clearfield Legion – Dominic Loddo and Charles Krey
4. Clearfield Area Jaycees – Dave McCracken and Carl Spicer
5. The Eagles Club
6. The Lions Club
Special Division –Disc Jockey Race:
1. WCPA (Clearfield) – Stu Chamberlain and Bob E. Day
2. WVAM (Altoona) – John Benedick and Bill Robins

Trophies below, presented at Lower Witmer Park.


click photos for blow-ups...

February 9, 2023 'Throwback Thursday'  -  Wallaceton

       Deep Musical Roots Spring from the Wallaceton Band
 The Progress, June 19, 1940

“Strange as it may seem the 32 piece Wallaceton Band, which has been newly-uniformed to make its appearance here on July 4th is pretty much a family affair. Statistics show 26 members of the 32 piece band are related in one way or another.  In the band the name WILLIAMS appears 13 times, GOOD appears three times and KNEPP appears seven times.  The SHAW name appears twice.  The WILLIAMS, GOOD and KNEPP and a member by the name of HAMER are also related.  The band was organized in 1922”.  However, there was a Wallaceton Band in 1900 and two members, Mitchell KNEPP and Harvey KNEPP, were still members of the band in the 1940s when the band was disbanded.
Wallaceton was incorporated in 1873, upon petition of Robert WALLACE and others, but Henry FOULK was the first settler within the lines of present day Wallaceton in 1814-15.  Wallaceton consists of 426 acres with 224 acres from the James H. TURNER farm and the 202 acres owned by James B. GRAHAM and William A. WALLACE.  GRAHAM and WALLACE laid out streets and lots in one area in 1868 and began selling lots.  The expansion of the railroad would be important to Wallaceton and the timber industry.
The Tyrone and Clearfield Railroad Company completed rail connections between Philipsburg and Clearfield in 1869.  The Beech Creek, Clearfield and Southwestern Railroad line was constructed in 1884.  Both railroads had stations in Wallaceton.  The railroad was a boom to the lumber industry.  Wallaceton had a steam powered sawmill from 1869-1882.  “There is a large steam powered sawmill here and its trade in lumber is quite large.” (Caldwell’s 1878 Atlas)
The Wallaceton Fire Brick Company was the first manufacturing industry of the borough incorporated in 1881, with William WALLACE as president.  They used clay from local mines on the SHIMMEL and SMEAL properties.  In 1902, Harbison-Walker Refractories Company purchased Wallaceton Fire Brick Company and manufactured bricks there until 1954.  Other Wallaceton businesses included the Harbison-Walker Company Store, The Vulcan Trading Company, Stevens General Store, E.K. Turner’s Gristmill, Edward Milligan’s Gas Station, Hamer’s Restaurant and Hummel’s Grocery Store among others. 


February 2, 2023 'Throwback Thursday' to 1851 - 1940

Sara Schofield  -- Union Township

Sara Schofield was one of 10 children born to Joseph Schofield and Elizabeth Aikins Schofield.  Sara’s father Joseph worked in the woolen factory on Anderson Creek, Lower Rockton.  The family lived on a farm located nearby on Spruce Hill, along the Snow Shoe/Packerville Turnpike.  
Sara lived on the farm and, at the age of 25, taught at the Spruce Hill School in 1876.  On June 5th, 1876, Sara opened school with eleven scholars.  Her diary states that the air was cold,  and she kept a fire during the school day which opened with Scripture reading.  
On July 4th of that year Sara accompanied her family to the Clearfield Fairgrounds for Independence Day celebrations.  She walked downtown to view the “new” jail built by George Thorn in 1870-73.  Later at the fairgrounds she listened to a speech by Mr. Murray (the first president of the Clearfield County Historical Society), enjoyed music during their picnic dinner, heard the reading of the Declaration of Independence, and danced with a crowd of 80 people.  
In September she rode the train from Clearfield to Philadelphia to attend the Centennial Exhibition.  She watched the Odd Fellows Parade and attended many of the exhibitions.  Her diary entry is detailed with many grand experiences, which were fascinating to this girl who lived life on a first-generation farm in rural Clearfield County.
Sara went on to teach at other schools such as the Hubert School (near Rumbarger Cemetery in DuBois), Home Camp, and Winterburne.  She never married.  She passed away on Dec. 31, 1940 and is buried next to her brothers Joseph and Arthur in the Rockton Cemetery.
You can read more about her in the Bulletin of the Clearfield County Historical Society or read the transcript of her diary (above) at the Society’s Alexander Research Center.  

 January 26, 2023 'Throwback Thursday' to 1936!

Click for blow-up


Disaster struck on a bitterly cold Friday night, January 25, 1936, with temperatures hovering around zero or below.
A Kerosene heater, used to heat water, exploded in the Gilbert Norris barber shop and quickly spread to the adjoining Herald newspaper office and spread in both directions. Norris’ was located on the west side of the alley between Thompson and Walnut streets and on the north side of State Street. 
Intense cold temperatures hampered the firefighters and caused hoses and other equipment to freeze up. Water flowing down the street froze into a solid mass. It was reported the lows were minus 18 degrees.
Curwensville Fire Dept. was assisted by Clearfield and DuBois. The firemen kept on the job all the next day, the 26th, pouring water onto the smoking and ice incrusted ruins.
Curwensville Fire Chief Benner chartered a bus to take the Clearfield firemen home so they would not have to ride on the open pieces of apparatus.
At least 10 businesses and four homes were lost.  And smoke hung over the ruins for several days afterwards. 

 January 19, 2023'Throwback Thursday' to 1907!

Brown's Boot Shops

...founded in DuBois and expanded in 47 years

to 24 stores in the area.

Original store opened in 1907, then 
Bellefonte, Bradford, Brookville, Clarion
Clearfield, DuBois, Emporium, Franklin
Greenville, New Bethlehem, Oil City
Philipsburg, Punxsutawney, 
St. Marys, Warren, Washington,

Olean & Salamanca, NY


Frederick Joseph Brown

founded Brown Boot Shops. He also served as president of Union Banking and Trust Co. for 25 years and was president of Vulcan Soot Blower Corp. He was a former director of Triangle Spring Co. of DuBois and County National Bank in Clearfield.

Mr. Brown also raised purchred Hereford cattle at Browncrest Farms, an 1,100-acre tract in Lawrence Township. He was born on the farm in 1886, son of Lewis and Annie (Read) Brown. He attended school in Clearfield and in boyhood worked in mercantile establishments until he was 21.

In 1907 he came to DuBois to open and take charge of the Conn-Allen Shoe Store.

A year later he went into the retail show business on his own at DuBois, met with success and began acquiring and opening stores in other towns. 



January 12, 2023 -  'Throwback' to 1908 !

Throw Back Thursday:

Jesse Duke
'Woodland’s Iron Man'

Boxing was one of the most popular sports in the Clearfield County region, ranking right up there with baseball, prior to the World War II era.  In the 1930s one of the most well-known boxers in the state was Jesse Duke, known as “the Pride of Woodland” and also “Woodland’s Iron Man.”
Jesse was born in Woodland to his parents Ashley Woolridge Duke and Nettie (Jury) Duke in 1908.  He was raised in Woodland and had an interest in boxing while growing up.  Charley, Jesse’s younger brother, also took a liking to the sport. 
The fighting weight for Jesse was 127 to 130 pounds.  He was well known for his left-hander.  Throughout the late 1920s and early 1930s it was written in local newspapers that Jesse competed in many promoted matches.  Some of his fellow boxing mates from Clearfield County at the time included, Bill Flannigan, Dick McClure, Dick and George Duckett, Art Hockman, Blair Mann, Jake Kanter, Al Pyle, Teddy Misko, Monk Fox, Bobby Barrett, Dick Houston, Barney Nevling and his brother Charley Duke. 
In July of 1930 Duke had won his last six fights with four of them as knock-outs.  An article describing a fight at the Mishler Theatre in Altoona was published in the September 27, 1927 edition of the Altoona Tribune “Jesse Duke of Clearfield and Billy Palm of Johnstown put up the best bout of the night. Five times Duke had his foe on the floor only to see him rise for further punishment.”  “It was by far the best bout of the night with Duke the winner by a wide margin.”  On this same night at the Mishler Barney Nevling of Coalport was in the ring with Red Cuzzolino battling to a six round draw. 
Jesse Duke went on to marry and raise two sons.  Jesse worked for Harbison-Walker.  He and his wife Celia (Martell) both died in 1978.



      Home Camp Church on the Backroads of Union Township                                                                                             reproduced  January 5, 2022

The Home Camp Methodist Church has served this little community in Union Township since 1894.  Early pioneer families from the area, instrumental in its establishment were the Harley family from Spruce Hill, the Dresslers, Browns, Werty’s, Shaffer’s, and Baileys.   Prior to the church being built the little congregation met in the nearby school-house which housed eight grades.  The school-house bell is installed next to the church along with a war memorial.  

The contract for the church was given on Oct. 21, 1984, and the cornerstone was laid on Nov. 2nd of that year.  The stone foundation was laid by Samuel Hoover who lived in the community.  George Campbell drew the plans and was the head carpenter.  Construction took place as the money was available.
Over the years, some changes have been made, each time to help modernize the building for use by the parishioners.  Originally heated with two pot-bellied stoves which the attendees sat around in winter months the congregation decided to excavate under the church to add a coal furnace.  In 1954 a remodel inside the church was done to add four classrooms, and in 1988 the whole church was raised for a proper basement which added a fellowship room, kitchen, and bathrooms.  The original windows of the church were plain glass windows eventually being replaced by colored glass.  
Should you be out for a drive in the country, stop and notice the “modern” stained glass windows.  Built by William Rensel in memory of his father Bernard, and installed by Paul Orcutt in 1979. The windows tell the story of the Bible starting with Creation, Garden of Eden, Flood, Birth, Death, Jesus’ Resurrection, Communion and Christ as our Anchor.  Two front windows depict crosses for the saved and unsaved.  The large front inside window, installed in 1949 is of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane. You might enjoy your picnic lunch in the attached pavilion at the rear of the church while you enjoy the peaceful setting.  Remember to leave the area neat and tidy like you find it while you contemplate nearly 200 years of area history.  

 'Throwback Thursday': Shoot-Out in Clearfield Town -                                                         reproduced December 29, 2022

During the Civil War, deputy provost marshals were charged with seeing that all of those who should go off to war did so.
A special deputation from a military unit stationed at Brookville arrived at daybreak one Sunday morning at the Clearfield County home of a Joseph Lansberry (Lounsberry) to arrest him for having failed to report for the draft.
In the early morning darkness, the men – four of them – forced their way into the home and in an exchange of gunfire one of the arresting officers, Sgt. Cyrus Butler, was killed. Lansberry was wounded in the arm. The affair rocked Clearfield.
Lansberry, who was known as an outspoken objector to the war, was placed in the county jail but as had happened before in similar although not quite as serious circumstances, the door was not locked too securely and he didn’t stay there long.
The next day, two of the arresting party had an encounter with a friend and two relatives of the accused man and shot it out in the middle of Clearfield Town, one of them using the barroom of the Mansion Hotel for a fort.
“Our community is quite unused to such scenes,” reported The Clearfield Republican.
This is a photo of the Mansion Hotel (now the location of the Dimeling Hotel) after the flood in June of 1889.

Throwback Thursday: A Bloody Day at Knox to Never Be Forgotten reproduced Dec. 8, 2022

The log cabin pictured is the scene where 158 years ago the “Shootout at Bloody Knox” occurred. 

On December 13th, 1864, Union Soldiers of the 16th Veteran Reserve Corp (VRC) surrounded the cabin and demanded the surrender of deserter Thomas Adams. 

Adams shot and killed Union Soldier Edgar L. Reed and he was also shot and killed while attempting to escape. 

The “Bloody Knox” name came about because the cabin is located Knox Township, near the present day Kellytown.

The Adams cabin was built on property owned by John Chase.  Adams was recruited by Chase initially to cut timber and later to join the 149TH Pennsylvania Bucktails. 

Civil War veteran Daniel Barnett purchased the cabin in 1867 and lived there with his family as a farmer until 1885.  Seven of his eleven children were born in the cabin. 

...same cabin 158 years later...!

 'Throwback Thursday' -  Camp Glen Bonarr

  Lumber City’s Camp Glen Bonarr

– An Old Time Destination

Camp Glen Bonarr was a popular local vacation spot in the early 1900s.  It was on the banks of the Susquehanna River just a few miles above what was Lumber City.  The land was situated on the Watts property and was operated by Samuel Watts (1857-1924) where his farm was located.  

There was a magnificent view at Camp Glen Bonarr from the hill looking southeast toward Lumber City.  People would travel to gather and picnic.  One article written in The Monitor of Clearfield, a weekly newspaper established in 1892, stated that when a party of visitors arrived at the river they found an excellent bridge designed and constructed by Eli Hile (1845-1926).

It was also written that there was a huge cavernous pile of rocks that formed the most unique freak of nature in that part of the world.  Camp Glen Bonarr was a favorite place for family reunions, picnics and conventions.  Memories of hayrides were also penned and noted.  

Samuel Watts discontinued the Camp Glen Bonarr in 1913.  The land was later used by the state to build the Curwensville Dam. 


This piece of poetry is archived at the Clearfield County Historical Society. The information regarding the author is “Jerusha”.  

Where the lovely Susquehanna leaps in beauty mongst the hills;
Where the sunshine glows in splendor and birds’ sweetest music thrills,
There lies a fair, green valley which know both near and far:
This vale that lies by the river’s side, Is the beautiful “Glen Bonarr”
Hemmed in the rugged mountains and the river singing loud,
‘Tis a calm retreat for weary man far from the maddening crowd.
As though we’re worn out pilgrims, we viewed the land afar,
There is this spot we pitched our tents and call it “Camp Bonarr”.
All care to the winds was flung, the winds wept down to the sea
And the hills re-echoed again and again with the sounds of merry glee.
Around the bon fire gathered on many a star-lit night,
With laugh and song and merry jest, we formed a welcome sight.
And oft sweet memory softly rolled the thread of thought along,
Recalling dimly to each mind a half forgotten song.

Then floated the strains of “Twilight” or “Home Sweet Home” on the air;
Till in fancy we stood in childhood’s fields surrounded by sunlight fair.
Or, gathered in the “Drawing Room” when the night grew late and dark;
When the bon fire sank to embers and it grew too cold to spark.
Then John – Oh! “Watts” his name? You know him well enough –
Enjoyed with all the others a game of Blind Man’s Bluff.
And how we laughed at the John – to whose length there was no lack,
As he stood blindfolded in our midst, crying quack, quack, quack.
And ne’er shall be forgotten Pap’s sermon to children dear
As grouped around that barrel, we listened with dread and fear.
To his advice to Nancy – It seemed to bare  her gate,
Be sure when you goes fishin’ be sure you has good bait;
And if you haven’t got none don’t sit you down and bawl,
But “Steele” it from your neighbor, Is my advice to “Hall”.
With jest and song the evening passed then to our bunks we’d go,
While “Amos Quito” sang to us his little tale of woe.
When wrapped in slumber’s softest robes, the camp grew dark and still,
And naught was heard but the river’s voice and the cry of the whip-poor-will.
Or a softly rustling sound about us here and there 
As if to say their evening prayer.
So very still was nature upon river’s shore and hill,
That one could almost fancy the slopes with their red men still.
Each morning brought its pleasures in games of strength and grace
Croquet and quoits and town ball and the lively “prisoners” Base,
Dominoes, checkers, reading for the quiet ones you see,
But for the noisy youngsters the “Hindmost One of Three”.
Best of all was the “Straw Ride” to the homestead on the hill
Three cheers for Sam and John, boys let us give them with a will.
And thanks to the kindly brother whose arms were open wide
To receive the same “Straw Party” on that same eventful ride.
Judge Watt’s Court of Justice in its punishments did dole,
While the jury drank full deeply and the tipstaff climbed his pole:
While “Caudle” fought for freedom from “Mrs. Caudle “ dear,
And the bashful girl watched quietly with many a furtive tear.
The “Deestrict Skule” for learning was famous far and wide;
In the primary class “Little Leslie”, “Jerushy” by his side,
And little Willie Thompson always sat long side the wall.
While Kate, the baseball “Striker “ liked to linger in the hall.
When “Little Ada” said her speech in a meek and timid voice, 
We other scholars always knew she was the teacher’s choice.
Our taffy pull one rainy day was heaps and heaps of fun.
We only wish we had the time to show you how ‘twas done.
We’d like to tell the other things too great for mortal pen-
But you know I know children, these bones shall rise again.
So let me just remind you of the things you’d like to know;
Of the table filled with good things and the benches bending low.
Of the “Hammock Parlor” shady and wading parties fair,
And the men who went a giggling and the girls hugged by the “Bair”,
The day we raised the flag, raided our patriotism too,
So let us not forget the “Monk” or that day we’ll surely “Rue”.
Let me remind you of the “Boxer” who gave no loving pats;
But – I’ll swat you in de gob and I’ll punch you in de slats.
Shall we e’er forget our “mammy”, our “mammy” fond and dear,
Who tucked us gently in our bunks and told us not to fear.
Our “Barrs” of happiness were few on the dear old camping ground,
And our hearts turn back in longing as the days go round and round.
Back to the busy, hustling world our humble place to fill,
While “Glen Bonarr” is silent, guarded by river and hill.
Through it should be our lot to wander long and far.
We’ll ne’er forget the friends we knew at dear old “Camp Bonarr”.
We’ll cherish all things beautiful which memory can recall,
While our hearts go out in praise to Him, the Giver of all.

The Kerr House Museum and Genealogy  Research Center are open for visitors 


Sunday & Thursday

1:30 to 4:30 PM



Write us at...Clearfield County Historical Society

   511 Van Valzah Ave.
   Clearfield, PA 16830

Phone: 814-768-7318 for a brief recording... 


click for best

Contact Method



 104 E. Pine St,

Clearfield, Pa  16830

(Corner Front & E Locust Sts.)



  511 Van Valzah Ave.

  Clearfield, PA  16830

      (official business address)


3. 'BLOODY KNOX' Cabin Museum:

6246 Curwensville - Tyrone Hwy.

Olanta, PA  16863

(Village of Kellytown)


Courtesy guided group tours of our 'Kerr House' Museum can be arranged year round by calling



Stay current by visiting this web site and our facebook for updated information.

Monthly  -  Annualluy

Print | Sitemap
© Clearfield County Historical Society