Production of this 'Throwback Thursday' page was discontinued as of September 25th, 2023 !



'Throwback Thursday'

publications, scroll down for previous 'Throwbacks' ...


for the week of September 21, 2023



In September of 1974 a tree farm in Shawville, Goshen Township, Clearfield County was nationally recognized.  The National Tree Farm system named Ben Lingle, president of the Lingle-Shawville Coal Company, as a leader in reclaiming old mines into glades of pine trees.  

Benson “Ben” Lingle (1917-2007) was practicing mine reclamation long before state regulations were placed to do so.  He was one of the pioneers of using helicopters in planting grasses to prevent soil erosion. 

Mr. Lingle mined thousands of tons of coal but was passionate about conservation.  He worked with Penn State's wildlife division developing a white tail breeding program. He was the proud owner of Linglewood Lodge which was located in the Shawville area.  He entertained and held many outdoor recreational gatherings here.  His annual Game Dinner which he hosted from the late 70's through the 80's became legendary.

Girard and Goshen townships became heavily wooded after the coal mining boom due in large part to the theory that Ben Lingle carried.  He was quoted as saying during the National Tree Farm ceremony in 1974, “We have to give back to the land what we take out of it, for if we don’t there won’t be anything left for future generations.”

click photos for detail


for the week of September 14, 2023

Mahaffey High School     1902 - 1955


This Mahaffey School was opened from 1902 to 1917. The first class to graduate from this school was in 1902 with three members, Katherine Strauss, Mildred Kantner and Harper Suiger. And the last class, in 1917, held commencement at the Methodist Church on May 8, 1917. An admission of 10 and 20 cents was charged to pay expenses and the balance was credited to a piano. 
The new Mahaffey High School was opened in 1918 until 1955. In Class of 1918 consisted of nine members and graduation was held in the new school building. Their class colors were purple and gold. Matt Savage of Clearfield was the commencement speaker. Savage (1854-1935) was born in New Washington. He was the owner and publisher of the first daily newspaper in Clearfield, Public Spirit. He served as county superintendent of schools from 1884 to 1890, and until his death he was dean of the Pennsylvania Educational Association.    
The Class of 1955, 22 members, was the last class to graduate from Mahaffey High School. Their motto was, “If At First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again.” Their colors were gold and gray and their flower was a red carnation. The Home Economics class went to the Farm Show in Harrisburg, and the Senior Class trip was to Washington, D.C. 


                                                       Click photos to enlarge


This week... September 7, 2023, 2023   - 

National Banking Comes to Clearfield County


By the end of The Civil War, in 1865, there was only one ‘Bank’ in Clearfield County. The ‘Private’ Bank, of Leonard, & Finney & Co.,  issued ‘script’ currency, which could be traded or  used locally and redeemed for account credit or gold and silver coin. 

In 1866, the National Banking Act of 1864, became law. 

By 1929 there were 15,000 National Chartered banks in the United States, with 1,198 in Pennsylvania, and 23 of those Charters granted

throughout communities in Clearfield County.

(as listed here)

Only the highlighted named banks above survived

the Federal 'Bank Holiday' in Clearfield County.
Until 1929, these National Banks could issue ‘National Currency.’ Each National Bank could purchase the ‘Bank Inscribed’ printed notes or currency from the United States Treasury. 
This new National Currency was implemented in part to finance the Union’s Civil War debt and to create a convenient paper currency; sponsored and backed by the United States Government.
When issued, it was distributed through our nation’s National Banks; printed with the issuing National Bank’s full Charter name, bearing the signatures of both the bank’s President and its Cashier.

Some  National Currency Examples:  

In the early days of banking, deposits in bank accounts carried a degree of risk:

Between 1929 and 1932, period of The Great Depression, some 5,800 National Banks had closed or failed nationally.

In 1933, newly elected President Roosevelt sponsored the Emergency Banking Act with Congress. This brought with it the FDIC , or The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, which is still protecting customer bank deposits with

Federal Insurance!

Five Clearfield County National Banks were strong enough to reopen in 1933, along with several State Charted banks with sufficient capital to qualify for the FDIC insurance coverage

for their depositor’s protection.

This week... August 31st, 2023   





Charles “Tim” L. Thompson was born on March 1, 1924 in the town of Coalport, Pennsylvania.  He was the son of Maurice “Tommy” and Doris (Curry) Thompson.  His father Maurice was a coal miner.
As a youngster, Tim played baseball in the coal mining leagues. 


At the age of 18 he joined the United States Navy. He married his high school sweetheart, Lois (McCartney) Thompson, right out of high school.   During World War II, he served his country where he flew lighter than air K-class blimps built by Goodyear to patrol the Pacific Coast for submarines and mines. 

Thompson was based out of Moffett Federal Airfield in the Silicon Valley area of California.  In 1945 he accepted a job on the third-shift manufacturing line at the America Viscose Company so he could play baseball during the day.  
Tim received an offer to play professional baseball from a scout who had seen him play in the service.  He worked through the minor leagues and made his debut in 1954 in the major leagues with the Brooklyn Dodgers.  He went on to play for the Kansas City Athletics and Detroit Tigers. 


Tim Thompson batted left-handed and threw right handed; he was listed as 5’ 11” and 190 lbs.  He played professional baseball for 16 seasons.  After his retirement from the baseball field, he was a coach for the St. Louis Cardinals and scouted for the Cardinals, Dodgers and Baltimore Orioles. 

Tim and Lois had one son, Tim Jr. (1943-2007) and were together for over 80 years.  Charles L. “Tim” Thompson died October 25, 2021 in Lewistown, Pennsylvania.  Lois died two days later on October 27, 2021 at their home. 


According to their obituaries they were the cornerstone of their family, model partners in life, loving grandparents and caretakers, and as pure of heart as two people could be. 


This week... August 24th 2023   




Alexandrina Logie was born in Buckie, Scotland in 1894,  While she was a young girl her parents noticed her natural musical ability.  They made arrangements for Alexandrina to further her education at the Royal Academy of Music in London, England.  While a student, she studied voice where she excelled as a soprano.  
After graduating with honors, she did oratorical work in London and concert work in both Scotland and England.  She was advancing quickly with her musical career until it was interrupted by World War I.   At that time, Alexandrina taught music in Scotland.  

In 1920 she married Robert Bruce Paterson of Clearfield.  They had met while he visited Scotland.  After moving to Clearfield, Alexandrina took an active role in the foreign mission work of the Presbyterian Church.  She also was an active member in the Clearfield Order of Eastern Star and the Philipsburg Order of the Amaranth.  In both of these organizations, she was a leader with the musical aspect.  

Robert Bruce Paterson (1891-1948) was the son of one of the founders of Harbison-Walker Refractories Co. and builder of the Paterson Firebrick Plant in Clearfield.  Mr. Paterson was the president until his death in 1948.  At that time, his wife, Alexandrina became the president until 1951. Together they had three children.  Both Robert Bruce and Alexandrina are buried at the Hillcrest Cemetery.  





Scotish Songbird, Alexandrina Logie was born in Buckie, Scotland in 1894.

In 1920 she married Robert Bruce Paterson of Clearfield.  They had met while he visited Scotland.  After moving to Clearfield, Alexandrina took an active role in the foreign mission work of the Presbyterian Church.  She also was an active member in the Clearfield Order of Eastern Star and the Philipsburg Order of the Amaranth.  In both of these organizations, she was a leader with the musical aspect.  

Former, Paterson Brick Yard, curreent site of, Clerfield Elementry School, Mt. Joy Road and Center St., from Plymptonville area.


Many probably still buried localy !

This week... August 17th, 2023   


Wilbert J. "Foxy" Kerr - 1944

4th Ward Fireman


The Foxy Kerr Car

In the mid-20th century a common site to see when the fire whistle blew in Clearfield was the “Foxy Car”.  Wilbert J. “Foxy” Kerr was the fire chief of Fourth Ward Fire Station.  This amazing fire car was built largely through the efforts of Foxy Kerr.  The chassis was a Willys-Knight sedan.  The firemen stripped it down and rebuilt it to their needs.  Many parts were donated by businesses and industries in the Clearfield area.  The car hit the road in 1936 and would travel to local scenes where the volunteer firemen were needed.
Wilbert John “Foxy” Kerr (1892-1944) was a well-known Clearfield resident that was always willing to assist in any community affair when needed.  He was a leader in managing local baseball teams.  Foxy was a veteran of World War I.  He belonged to the American Legion where he was the local commander.  He was foreman of the Fourth Ward Fire Co. and in 1936 he was elected chief. He also was highly involved in politics, serving as the Republican party chairman and County Treasurer.
Foxy Kerr was interested in many hobbies, one of which was gardening.  He pursued his passion for flowers to the fullest extent when he served as chairman of the committee in charge of preparing the Fair Grounds for the county fair.  This was during the time the firemen sponsored the fair.  He also directed the industrial exhibits that were held at the Clearfield County Fair.  
After his death at the age of only 52 years old, the Clearfield County Fair named an award for harness racing, the W.J. “Foxy” Kerr Memorial award.  Helmold & Stewart Insurance Company sponsored the award in memory of the dedication that Foxy Kerr poured into his community.  

This week... August 24th, 2023   





Alexandrina Logie was born in Buckie, Scotland in 1894,  While she was a young girl her parents noticed her natural musical ability.  They made arrangements for Alexandrina to further her education at the Royal Academy of Music in London, England.  While a student, she studied voice where she excelled as a soprano.  
After graduating with honors, she did oratorical work in London and concert work in both Scotland and England.  She was advancing quickly with her musical career until it was interrupted by World War I.   At that time, Alexandrina taught music in Scotland.  

In 1920 she married Robert Bruce Paterson of Clearfield.  They had met while he visited Scotland.  After moving to Clearfield, Alexandrina took an active role in the foreign mission work of the Presbyterian Church.  She also was an active member in the Clearfield Order of Eastern Star and the Philipsburg Order of the Amaranth.  In both of these organizations, she was a leader with the musical aspect.  

Robert Bruce Paterson (1891-1948) was the son of one of the founders of Harbison-Walker Refractories Co. and builder of the Paterson Firebrick Plant in Clearfield.  Mr. Paterson was the president until his death in 1948.  At that time, his wife, Alexandrina became the president until 1951. Together they had three children.  Both Robert Bruce and Alexandrina are buried at the Hillcrest Cemetery.  

This week... August 3rd, 2023   


Women Railway Workers of 1917

Houtzdale Women 'Railroaders' in 1917 !

The autumn of 1917 saw more and more patriotic demonstrations of support for the war in Clearfield County.

But distinctions were being drawn.


Like a flash from the future, the Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Rochester Railroad placed an ad in DuBois newspapers advertising the need for women railway workers to perform light work of sweeping and operating light machinery.


The ad promised steady work and good pay. There were women laborers who took traditional male jobs in 1917, but certainly not on the mass scale of World War II. 


1917 was a generation

before Rosie the Riveter.



 July 27th, 2023   

  'Throwback Thursday' from 1828 to 2023

195 years of



The earliest known photo of a Clearfield County Sheriff is of Lebbeus Luther, who was elected Sheriff in 1828 and served from 1829 to 1832. He was the third sheriff in the county following Greenwood Bell and William Bloom.
In 1820, Luther, a native of Massachusetts, bought and located on a tract of land where Luthersburg now stands (the place was named after him). He operated the first tavern (as hotels were then called) in Brady Township. His tavern’s bar-room was the location of the first school (c1827), the place of elections and church services.

The first circuit rider, Rev. Anderson, preached in the bar-room in 1822 or 1823. “Luther was full of fun, an inveterate joker and good at repartee.” (Row’s history of Clearfield County, 1859). Years later his family moved to Elk County where he owned a newspaper. 




Photo of Chester Hawkins, Sheriff from 1978 to January 2014,


holding the death warrant and the rope that hung Lena Miller, the first legal execution in Clearfield County in 1867.


Lena Miller (1827-1867) from Covington Township poisoned her husband with a large quantity of arsenic. 


Representing 53 years of Clearfield County Sheriffs:


Mike Churner, current Sheriff with a term through 2026 - left


John Anderson, 1974-1977, the youngest in the state at the age of 27 - center


Chester A. Hawkins, 1978 to January 2014 - right


Wes Thurstin (2014-2017) - front 

July 20th, 2023   

  'Throwback Thursday' to 1941 ...


"The Cheese Plant",  in Curwensville.

By Paula Miller


This is a story of small-town ingenuity and a Clearfield County product that is known throughout the world.

Clearfield Cheese Co. (a.k.a. the cheese plant) was started by William D. Tate and his brother J. Hamer Tate in 1941

in the old Sheffield Farms Milk plant in Curwensville. 

This local company grew to be the second largest cheese producer in the world by the 1970's, second only to Kraft.


Clearfield Cheese Co. is best known for introducing the world to individually wrapped slices of cheese.  This 1950s innovation was developed by Arnold Nawrocki, who up to that time had been working for Swift in Chicago. He pitched the idea to his former employer and was turned down.  Nawrocki resigned from his former employer and accepted a position with Clearfield Cheese a few months later.  It was here in Clearfield County that Nawrocki and team members from the cheese plant brought the idea to fruition.


The original machinery ordered for production of individually wrapped slices came from Philadelphia.  However, when the specially made equipment from the city arrived, it failed. 

Determined, Clearfield Cheese turned to local machinists, hiring a team of the area’s precision-focused individuals who worked closely with Nawrocki to engineer the company’s own equipment in the machine shop of the cheese plant.  Hard work and innovation of people from Clearfield County brought this new idea to life and the individually wrapped slice was born, revolutionizing the cheese industry. 


With a visit to any grocery store local innovation can be seen in every package of individually wrapped slice of cheese.  Clearfield Cheese was purchased by Schreiber foods in 1985 and local production ceased by1988.  Although production is no longer in Clearfield County, the brand lives on and Clearfield Cheese is sold at deli counters and stores throughout the United States. 

Nawrocki's Historical Marker stands proudly

at 424 State St. in Curwensville.

Click photos to enlarge...

July 13th, 2023   

  'Throwback Thursday' to 1964 ...

'Water Fun on the Susquehanna...'

Water Fun in the Susquehanna River in 1964.


During the dog days of summer in the mid-1960s events were held in the waters of the Susquehanna River.  Water skiing was becoming a popular hobby for area people along with boating.  


Clearfield had an organization of boating enthusiasts, the Clearfield Outboard Boating Club.  In June of 1964, plans were made to treat 45 Clearfield Area Senior High School boys who helped construct a new dock at Lower Witmer Park.  The boys and their parents were treated to boat rides, water skiing instructions and refreshments.  


On the Fourth of July the Clearfield Area Jaycees celebrated the holiday with a boat show.  The show featured a boat parade and water skiing exhibitions by the Clearfield Outboard Boating Club.  Also, free boat rides were given.


July 6, 2023   

  'Throwback Thursday' to 1913 ...

110th Anniversary of


Margie Krebs uses the Fairchild Engraving Machine, circa 1950.

On May 21, 1913, a new daily newspaper appeared, The Progress.


The name of the new venture underwent two more name changes when on June 11, 1913, the name changed to The Clearfield Evening Progress, then changed again to The Clearfield Progress, a name that continued until June 27, 1946, when it became The Progress to better represent its increased circulation and the other communities it served.


The first editions were four-page publications and six columns wide. Circulation in 1916 was 500 and grew to 3,000 by 1919.

In 1945 circulation was 8,129 and in 2004 there were 14,000 issues being distributed through a fleet of vehicles, 146 paper carriers, 61 stores and 137 machines as well as papers mailed to every state across the country.


Current circulation is about 6,500.

A branch office was opened in Philipsburg in 1946 and later offices opened in Curwensville, Coalport, Houtzdale and the last, in Mahaffey in 1981.



June 29, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday' to 1845


Rev. John M Chase



John Mitchell Chase was born in 1820 in Ohio.  He was left fatherless at an early age in boyhood.  At the age of seven years, after his mother and siblings moved to Broome County, New York, he left home to earn his own living due to his mother having no means of income.  

As John Chase grew and worked hard to secure a stable financial status, he never lost touch with his mother. The first piece of land that he secured was a little tract on Little Clearfield Creek.  He immediately sent a message to his mother and step- father to move to his land where he cared for them as long as they survived. 

In 1845 John Chase married Tabitha Williams and moved to the northwest part of Woodward Township. Together they had eleven children.  This is where he engaged in lumbering after purchasing extensive tracts of some of the finest timber land in the county of Clearfield.  

On August 14, 1862, he enlisted for service in the Civil war, entering Company B, 149th Pa. Vol. Inf., of which he was elected lieutenant, but later, through the intervention of his personal friend, Governor Curtin, he was appointed regimental quartermaster. Army exposure brought on a disability which resulted in his honorable discharge, after nineteen months of service.

After his return from the Civil War, Mr. Chase invested in land that was rich in coal deposits in the county.  He became an ordained minister in 1870 and was an active member of  the Baptist Church.  

John M. Chase was a true self-made man. The heavy responsibilities that were placed upon him at such an early age, molded this man into a successful businessman, loving husband, son and father, as well as, a respected citizen of Clearfield County.  He died at his home in Clearfield in 1899 and is buried at Hillcrest Cemetery. 

June 22, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday' to 1958


Harvest Moon Ball

and the - Hoby Bell Orchestra

Hoby Bell - Base, Cluey Sandy - drums, "Rita - The Songbird",

Henry Stricek - sax  &  Jack Johnson - piano

Clearfield’s First Harvest Moon Ball

In the year of 1958, plans were made by the Children’s Aid Auxiliary to hold the first of many annual Harvest Moon Balls.  The date was set for September 20th of 1958. The ball was held at the Hotel Dimeling Ballroom beginning at 10 pm and ending at 1 am. 


Proceeds from the Harvest Moon Ball were used to make improvements to the Children’s Home.  Committee members for this event were Mrs. F. Cortez Bell, Jr, Auxiliary President; Mrs. Warren Pollock, chairwomen of the ball; Mrs. Frank Hoffman, secretary; Mrs. George Reisinger, treasurer; Mrs. Robert Longfritz and Mrs. Rembrandt Woolridge, social committee; Mrs. George Pregrim and Mrs. Albert Hinkle, Jr. decorating committee; Mrs. Charles Kluth and Mrs. John Manos, publicity committee; and Mrs. Frederick Bubeck, ticket committee.


The entertainment for the evening was Hoby Bell and His Orchestra.  Ticket sales went through the roof and many local businesses supported the event.  People danced the night away at the Hotel Dimeling Ballroom.  This was the first of many more Harvest Balls to be held to benefit the Clearfield Children’s Home.  

June15, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'


Dr. Samuel Waterworth
A Founding Father of Clearfield Hospital 

Dr. Samuel Waterworth
A Founding Father of Clearfield Hospital 

Dr. Samuel J. Waterworth (1873-1940) was born in Baltimore, Maryland.  His father suffered from poor health.  Due to this condition, his father was able to secure a position of a lighthouse keeper at Hawkins Point in the Chesapeake located below the mouth of the harbor in Baltimore. Dr. Waterworth was raised in that lighthouse, 8 miles from the coast, along with being educated by his mother and father at home in the lighthouse.  At the age of fifteen years, after the death of his father, he was assigned a job as by the Quarantine Department reporting inland vessels.  He was perfect for the job, as he knew all the vessels that sailed the Chesapeake from living at the lighthouse.  
Dr. Waterworth encountered doctors will working at the Quarantine Station who inspired him to leave the position and study medicine.  He went on to work at a drug store until entering medical school.  He graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, University of Maryland at the age of 20 years.  The college assigned Samuel to travel to DuBois to assist Dr. Spencer Free.  Later he went to work under several doctors in Jefferson County.
In 1894, Dr. Waterworth moved to Clearfield to start his own practice.  Dr. William C. Park of New Millport loaned him $40 to purchase a horse and buggy to make house calls.  Soon Dr. Waterworth was performing operations in the “operating rooms” of that day – kitchen tables and bedrooms.  This was the custom of the times.  
Dr. Waterworth was married to Catherine Cunningham at St. Francis Catholic church in 1898.  Together they had seven daughters and two sons.  The family lived on the corner of Second and Cherry Streets in Clearfield. 
Dr. Waterworth served as staff surgeon until 1925.  At that time he was elected Surgeon-in-Chief and Chief-of-Staff.  His surgery skills won him national fame, and brought patients to Clearfield from all parts of the country.  He was the subject of an article that was published in Time Magazine in 1939.  
Samuel J. Waterworth was a physician and surgeon that practiced in the community for 47 years.  He was the founder of the Clearfield Hospital.  This devoted member of the Clearfield County community died at the age of 66 years on June 6, 1940 in his sleep of a heart attack.  His obituary was published in the New York Times. 

He is buried at Calvary Cemetery in Clearfield. 

 There is a building located at 1033 Turnpike Avenue named

Dr. Samuel J. Waterworth Medical Building in his memory. 


June 8, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday', 1930


Pee Wee's Nest  at  Irvin Park

Curwensville, PA.

Many middle-aged and beyond Curwensville natives, though, can take solace in their good memories of swimming at the Pee Wee’s nest, a spot along the West Branch of the Susquehanna River, next to Irvin Park.
Irvin Park is named for Colonels Edward and John Irvin, both prominent Civil War veterans and businessmen who accelerated Curwensville’s development as a community.  They donated the park land that still bears their name to this day.

Generations of Curwensville’s kids and adults swam at the Pee Wee’s nest.  As the summer temperatures and humidity levels rose, the more crowded the park became.  The place would be packed on a hot weekend afternoon!
Curwensville was a lumber and rafting town.  Remnants of that early vital industry were still present on the river at Irvin Park when the pair of 1930 photos shown was taken. 

Platforms, built of logs, and connected by heavy chains, served as anchors and barriers, to hold back logs, until the spring floods came to float them eastward, through town, to sawmills.
As a result, the water flow on south side of the river became channeled into a sluice that rapidly moved the logs along to the Irvin sawmills that once stood adjacent to the today’s Golden Tide Football Field.

The log platforms shown remained for years and made a fine jumping off spot for kids to plunge into the water.
If anything, Pee Wee’s Nest is a unique name for a swimming area.  One story claims that the name came the small (pee wee) chirping birds who nested there.   Another says that there was a nearby bar of the same name.
The Pee Wee’s Nest was all but abandoned by the late 1960’s. The magnificent Curwensville Dam was completed then and offered safe summer swimming.

Issues of contaminated water infiltration, below the dam, and the rising liability insurance costs doomed the Pee West to a time gone by.

We give thanks and appreciation to David McNaul and Duane Test, both life-long residents of Curwensville, for information presented in this story. 



June 1, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday', 1884


Brisbin High School

Brisbin, PA.

Brisbin was once known as North Houtzdale, but later took its name from the early coal land developer, George M. Brisbin, when it became incorporated as a borough in 1883. The small community has always had a rich mining, religious and small business heritage.
It suffered a devastating village wide fire in May of 1884 that has become a part of local history and folklore.
It has to be said that even the smallest, and usually poorer communities in Clearfield County, were anxious to build schools to educate their children.
It may have taken generations, but early Brisbin residents inherently knew that education would give their children a better and more fulfilling life.
Ten years after the original schools were lost in the 1884 fire; Brisbin High School was built and opened in 1894.  Actually, it also housed elementary students and offered a curriculum to include grades 1 to 10.  Grades 11 and 12 were offered later.
The school building stood along Swoope Street (PA Route 153), next to the Brisbin First Church of God.  The site is today the church’s parking lot.
The building was, typical for the times; one with a belfry, large windows and high-ceilinged rooms, in order to allow as much light as possible into the classrooms.
The photo shows a decorative flue, which was needed to handle the large coal-fired furnace.  Five young students are shown in front of the school, near the then dirt street.
Sadly, the school building caught fire and burned on Jan. 11, 1944.  Mrs. Larue (Pope) Cotter remembered that a teacher, Miss Velma Lobb, was teaching her eighth-grade Math class, and noticed burnt debris falling by her classroom window.
She sent student Don Lobb outside to investigate. He saw smoke billowing from the eaves. Miss Lobb quietly pulled the fire alarm and all grades quickly exited the building.  Those three witnesses are now deceased.
Houtzdale’s Dr. Eugene Ronan was giving physical exams to primary age kids and, being annoyed, called out, “This is a hell of a time for a fire drill”!  He immediately helped clear the building.  Thankfully, no one was injured.
The school was a total loss.  Only the flue remained at the end to the day.  The Houtzdale Fire Company saved the adjacent Church of God, which suffered only paint blistering and broken glass.
Brisbin students moved into temporary quarters and were sent into Houtzdale’s school rooms in September of 1944.  They were morphed into the old HWB (Houtzdale, Woodward and Brisbin) school system, which was itself later merged into the present Moshannon Valley School District.


May 25 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday', 1881




The Clearfield County Historical Society has archives of county related history.  Our acquisitions are indexed from the smallest marble a child may have played with to the largest piece of virgin timber that came from the forest.  One acquisition that came to light recently was a piece of paper filed under “MEMORIAL DAY CELEBRATIONS” dated 1881.  This was donated to the Historical Society in 1967.  It states the follow:
The citizens of Clearfield and vicinity and the members of Larimer Post, Grand Army of the Republic will unite this year in the observance of Decoration Day, May 30, and will use every effort to make the ceremonies of that day more imposing than ever before known in this vicinity.  Col. John W. Forney of Philadelphia, has been secured to deliver the orientation, and will be present, unless prevented by sickness or some other unavoidable circumstance.   Let all unite in honoring the memory of the fallen heroes.  Everybody in Clearfield County is invited to be present to participate in the ceremonies of honoring the fallen dead.”
Colonel John W. Forney (1817-1881) was an American newspaper publisher and a politician. Born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, he entered the newspaper business at the age of 16 years old.  Within four years he owned the Lancaster Intelligencer newspaper.  He was considered a voice for Abraham Lincoln administration during the Civil War as he wrote for another newspaper he owned out of Washington, DC, The Sunday Morning Chronicle.  Forney was elected as the Secretary of the United States Senate from 1861-1868. 
It was written about the famous Col. Forney’s visit in the Clearfield Republican on June 1, 1881 the following:
“Decoration Day and court brought a large crowd of strangers to Clearfield on Monday.  The day opened clear and warm and continued to grow hotter until about the time the ceremonies were over, when all vegetation and sweltering humanity were refreshed with a few hours of a delightful rain.  It eased about six o’clock, after laying the dust and cooling the atmosphere effectively.
People commenced to arrive early in the morning and by noon, with nearly all the buildings profusely decorated with small flags and several large banners floating in the breeze on Market Street, our town presented a gay appearance that would have done honor to any old-fashioned Fourth of July.
Shortly after the town clock struck one, the multitude that assembled at the stand erected for the occasion in front of the Court House, was called to order by Col. Walter Barrett. After music being discoursed by the Orphans and Citizens Cornet bands and the martial band, in their turn, Rev. H.S. Butler opened the exercises with prayer. 
The article went onto to say, “Col. John W. Forney, of Philadelphia, who entertained the assembly for nearly an hour.  Col. Forney, in personal appearance, is a large, fine-looking gentleman, has gray side whiskers and wore a black dress suit.  Although this was his first visit to our town, the speaker was well acquainted with many of our older citizens, who were pleased to meet with him on this occasion.” 
After the conclusion of the events of the day, the Larimer Post of the GAR decorated the graves of their fallen comrades.  The flowers were provided in abundance and arranged by the floral committee for this event.  It was written that the ladies of Penfield donated a generous amount of flowers which were received in excellent order.  John Smith, residing half way between Clearfield and Penfield, sent in a large contribution of honeysuckles.  
When the events of the day concluded the crowd scattered.  Although the banks were closed on this day, other merchants in Clearfield kept their doors open and had a thriving business day, as did the hotels.
Colonel John W. Forney traveled to Trenton, New Jersey and delivered a lecture to a well-attended audience at the local Opera House the following day.  Later that same year on December 9, 1881, Col. Forney passed away at the age of 64 years.  

May 18, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1911


The DuBois Brewing Company FARM

was located off Route 322 east in Luthersburg.


In the early 1900s, this rural farm was a tourist sight.

During the weekends dozens of area visitors toured the farm by horse and buggy to see the operations. The R. W. Moore estate sold the farm to DuBois Brewing Company in July 1911. 


Frank Hahne Sr. (1856-1932), owner of DuBois Brewery bred horses and cattle on the farm and had a splendid orchard. 

Mr. Hahne was a native of Germany immigrating to America in 1875. 

After moving to various locations in the Midwest he eventually settled in DuBois in 1896 with hopes of establishing a brewery.  DuBois attracted Hahne due to the area’s clean water.  

In 1932, Frank Hahne Sr. passed away leaving his operations to two of his children to manage, Frank Jr. and Marie.  In 1946 the farm was sold to the Milton Hartzfeld family and then eventually to Crescent Brick Company. 


Today the buildings are all gone, and the land has been strip-mined. 

The field now flourishes with central Pennsylvania wildlife. 


May 11, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1922


Madera’s Liberty Theater 

The Liberty Theater was built in 1922 by brothers Frederick and Michael Scrano on Main Street in Madera.  The men were born in Italy and were listed as stone masons on several census reports. They built the theater at that time for the astronomical price tag of $200,000.  It was large for its day, as it could seat close to 2,000 people.  

During the construction of the Liberty Theater, tragedy struck when the Clearfield Progress published the following article on November 19, 1921:
Oscar Lawhead Falls To Death From Scaffold On New Theatre Building At Madera
Dies despite Attempt of Physicians To Save His Life - Brother Workman Also Hurt
Oscar Lawhead, aged 34 years, and son of Milton Lawhead of Hyde City, formerly of Clearfield, died in the Cottage State Hospital at Philipsburg at 1:55 o'clock Wednesday afternoon as the result of injuries received in a fall from a scaffold at the new Liberty Theatre building in Madera.
Chain Gives Way
The deceased, who was a plasterer by trade, in company with his nephew, John Lawhead, was working from a swinging scaffold plastering the ceiling of the theatre building. A link in the chain supporting one end of the scaffold gave way and when the end dropped down the men were dropped to the concrete floor below, a distance of about forty fe

The Scrano brothers operated the Liberty until the World War II era.  This theater continued to show movies into the late 1950s. As early as July 3, 1952 the Madera Girl Scout Troop was holding a bake sale in the Novelty Shop at the theater building and likewise by 1961 surplus food was being distributed from the premises.  After the Liberty closed as a theatre, it was then made into apartments. The building was razed in 2000 after many years of neglect and disrepair.  
The first movies shown were silent films – “7th Heaven” and “The Big Parade”.  The Liberty would feature cowboy movies on Saturdays.  Many of the moviegoers would dress up in their cowboy clothes.  Tom Mix (DuBois native) movies were a favorite.  Memories were noted of the life-like wax figures of Jesse James and the Dalton Gang that were displayed in the lobby of the theater back in the early days of the doors opening. 


May 4, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1905

Stoneville - Community Quilt 


This Sunday, May 7th the doors of the Kerr House Museum

located at 104 N. Pine Street will be open for the 2023 season. 

One of the notable pieces on display this year

is a hand-stitched quilt from the community of

Stoneville located in Boggs Township, Clearfield County. 

The area of Stoneville is situated on one of the states most traveled areas in past history, the Old Erie Turnpike. At one time Stoneville was known as Marysville, though history fails to say why.   It was written in Joseph A. Daugue, Jr’s 'An Historical Sketch of the Old Erie Turnpike' that Alexander Stone came to this country from England and purchased a tract of land where he built the first hotel in Boggs Township called Stoneville Tavern.


  Since the conditions of the area proved to be favorable and the Clearfield Creek flowed near the Erie Pike, Mr. Stone laid out the village Stoneville.  
In the early 1900s Stoneville was thriving with the railroad and the Old Erie Pike as transportation routes for goods and services.  The community was close knit. 


So much so that in 1905-1906 a Signature Quilt was embroidered with the names of the residents of Stoneville.  Signature quilts gained popularity in the mid to late 1800s as a way to remember people.  Although the purpose of the Stoneville community quilt has been lost to time, we do know that each quilt block has the name of someone who called this place home. 


This could have been hand-stitched by a group of women in a quilting bee as a gift for someone or possibly made as a fundraising quilt.  This also could be a quilt made with church member’s names.  Whatever the occasion was the list of surnames are still familiar today in the Clearfield County area.  

The names lovingly embroidered on the red and white

hand stitched quilt are as follows: 

Sheridan Wisor
Volera Mease
Lena Mease
Lulu Haney
Mary Irwin

Margaret Haney
Mrs. Blanche Pearce
James Mease
Mrs. James Gallaher
Mr. & Mrs. John Wisor
Susie Wisor
Mrs. Annie Holes
Mrs. Kate Davis
Myrtle Holes
Pearl Smeal
May Wisor
Clifford Wisor
Susie McClarren
Mary Butler
Ruth Olsen
Mrs. Lewis Turner
John Olsen
Orange Michaels
Harry Wisor
Bessie Olsen

Louisa Michaels

Mrs. Gertrude Wisor
Blanche Baughman
Elizabeth Gallaher
Fred Wisor
Enoch McClarren

Julia Houston
Phoebe Lumadue
Leonard Smeal
George Gallaher
Maud Turner
Mrs. Anna Davis
Letita Polkenhorn
Roxie Curley
Fred Shugarts
Cordelia Flegal
William Wisor
Mrs. George Shugarts
Virgie Butler
Mrs. Clara Shimmel
Alex Root
Ethel Shimmel
Fred Baughman
Grace McMonigal

April 27, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1847

Burnside - 'Lee Hollow' - New Washington

Jacob Lee with daughters........

 Lee Hollow Mine was an “E” vein with a thickness of three feet. 

It had a daily capacity of 1,000 tons.

Lee Hollow in Clearfield County
In 1822, Jacob Lee (1770-1847), along with his wife and children came from the Milesburg area of Centre County to settle in a hollow which is located in both Burnside Township and New Washington Borough of Clearfield County. Jacob and Isaac Lee built one of the first stone houses in Bellefonte in 1795.  The two are believed to have been brothers.


Jacob Lee purchased 220 acres in 1839 in Burnside Township.  Jacob’s home was used as an early meeting house for Methodists.  According to a history of the New Washington Methodist Church complied by E.V. Mitchell in 1962, services were held under a large hemlock tree and afterward in a nearby log house belonging to Crawford Gallaher.  


The Lee family began businesses with farming and timbering that built up the little community of Lee Hollow.  In 1870, the mining business developed and carried on for the Lee family until they sold it in 1890. It was recorded in R.D. Swoope’s 1911 book Twentieth Century History of Clearfield County, Pennsylvania and Representative Citizens the Lee Hollow Mine was an “E” vein with a thickness of three feet.  It had a daily capacity of 1,000 tons.


The small community of Lee Hollow once had both single and double houses for the miners.  There was a company store and large home for “boss” along with roads.  Today all these structures are but a memory. 


The Progress - A View From - Lee Hollow by Jane Elling.

April 20, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1918

Gearhartville - Pvt. Alfred Johnston

1918 - Gearhartville Soldier Writes to Parents from France

Alfred Johnston, was the son of Moses and Mary Ellen (Lamb) Johnston.

  He was raised in Gearhartville, Decatur Township. 

Alfred was born in Philipsburg in 1895. 

By 1918 he was stationed “somewhere in France” as he wrote a letter home to his parents not disclosing his exact location.

Alfred was a Private in the US Army Battery E. 7th Field Artillery. 

 "The letter reads...."
Dear Parents:
A few lines to let you know that I am well and hope this letter find you all the same way. 
First I want to let you know just how small this world is.  I am on the military police force here and was at the station last night when the train came in.  A gentleman came up to me and asked where he could find a good place to sleep, so I took a good look at him and who do you suppose it was --- well I will tell you.  It was Bishop Israel, the bishop who confirmed me.  I told him who I was, and he was sure glad to meet me.  He wanted to know if there was anything he could do for me, but I told him there wasn’t, for I am very well fixed. He told me to send his best to all, especially Miss Julia Hale.  I have also met “Nibs” Cartwright in this country.
I took out a Liberty Bond and had it put in your name.  I would have taken more but couldn’t do it on account of making the allotment.
All the boys from my town are getting along finely.  Lou Jenkins had a sore hand but it is getting better now.
I will soon join my battery again, as I have been on detached service for over two months. 
Send me lots of mail for I sure like to receive it.  Well I must close for this time, hoping to hear from you soon. Your loving son, Alfred Johnston, E. 7.A. Amer. Ex. Force, France via New York.


Alfred wrote about several people from the area where he grew up; “Nibs” Cartwright, Bishop Israel, Julia Hale and Lou Jenkins. 


On July 22nd of 1918 Louis Jenkins was killed in action during the war in France.  He is buried there, but does have a cenotaph at the Philipsburg Cemetery. 

The Philipsburg VFW Post 3450 is named for Louis Jenkins.

                    Private Jenkins died at the age of 22 years old.  

Alfred Johnston made it home from France

and went onto marry Gladys Eboch.  They made their home in Philipsburg. 

According to the 1950 census,

Mr. Johnston is listed as being a juke box mechanic. 

                   Alfred passed away in 1964 in Philipsburg.

April 13, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1936

Grampian... Charles Waln Schoenfeld


( excerpts of personal diary text )

In 1936 Charles Waln Schoenfeld was 13 years old.  Charles was born in New York City but by the age of 13 he was living in Grampian with his mother (referred to as Dear in his diary), Emma Waln Shoenfeld  and sister, Barbara.   

Charles began his diary on January 1st of this year.  The inscription on the inside cover reads, “Charles Schoenfeld – From Grandpaw 1936”.  
On Wednesday, January 1st the diary opens with this description of the day: I had a very happy new year.  I went sled riding.  We had the day off from school.
Saturday, January 11 - I went out coasting.  Stayed out all day except for lunch.  Good crust, not very cold.
Wednesday, January 22 - Weather getting colder.  Went to school.  Rudolph Schrot is our teacher.
Thursday, January 23 – “Blizzardy” 15 degrees below zero.  We did not go to school – too cold.
Saturday, January 25 – Warmer, but still below zero.  Shoveled our car out as far as Rolly Farewell’s.  Bud Smith helped.
Monday, January 27 – Went to school.  I am in 7th grade and like rural school and our teacher.  Dear is reading to us – 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.
Wednesday, January 29
– It wasn’t very cold.  We went to Curwensville to see the fire.  It was mostly ice.
(Refer to published Throwback Thursday on GANT for January 25, 2023 for fire details)
Saturday, February 8 – Played around all morning.  Went to Clearfield in the afternoon.  Went to the show and saw “Tale of Two Cities”.
Tuesday, February 11 – Went to school.  Very cold. Dear is reading Four in one Western, Don Quick Shot of the Rio Grande.
Tuesday, February 18 – It was colder.  Stopped at John Zipf’s for groceries.
Thursday, February 20 – Went to school.  It was still pretty cold.  Played basketball.  Mr. Schrot finished the The Greene Murder Mystery.
Tuesday, March 3 – Went to school.  Today is my birthday.  I got a pen and pencil in white tone color, a sweater, a watch, a radio game.
Tuesday, March 17 – Didn’t go to school.  It poured all day.  Floods rising.  Clearfield 4 ft. under water.  
Wednesday, March 18 – Went to school.  Great floods.  Johnstown 15 to 16 ft under water.  Pittsburgh 18 feet under.  The greatest floods in history.  
Thursday, March 19 – Went to school.  Still flooded.  Little old cat had kittens.  
Saturday, March 21 – It rained all day.  Played with my erector set.
Sunday, March 29 – Grandpaw and I took a walk up the nob.  I carved my initials in the tower.  Stopped at Clair Wriglesworth’s for a drink of water.
Friday, April 24 – Went to school.  Didn’t have any lessons.  We had our picnic and have our vacation until September.
Saturday, April 25 – Went to Clearfield.  We saw The County Doctor at the movies.  
Tuesday, May 5 – We made gardens most all day.  Went to Spencer’s.  Planted corn and beans.
Friday, May 8 – Played at Spencer’s.  Dear went to Grange.  I went to the show and saw Trooper’s Three at Grampian.
        The last entry in the diary for 1936 was made on May 11th. 


Charles Schoenfeld must have went on that summer to continue to live the life of a country boy in Grampian playing with his friends and helping his sister Barbara and his mother.  


Charles graduated in 1941 from Clearfield High School.  He married and settled in Connecticut.  An interesting fact about Charles is that Nora Waln, the famous writer from Grampian was his Aunt.<link  Emma Waln Schoenfeld, Charles’ mother, was Nora’s sister. 

                         Charles died in 2003 in Connecticut.  

April 6, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1969

St. Francis Convent Nuns...

...with a car !

Sister Mary Pascal accepts 'car keys' from Eddie Zitzelberger,

while Charlie Natoli and Ed Masters look on!

The Driving Nuns

During the month of April, 1969 people in Clearfield County looked twice as they saw a brand new 1969 Plymouth station wagon gliding down the streets filled with nuns.  The Sisters of St. Joseph, at St. Francis Covent, 207 S. 2nd St., Clearfield were gifted this 1969 nine passenger station wagon.  


Three parishes raised money through their parishioners to gift the nuns with a vehicle for transportation to aid in the charitable work they were doing.  The parishes that helped the Sisters get their new wheels were St. Francis Church of Clearfield, St. Timothy Church of Curwensville and St. Bonaventure Church in Grampian.  


In the photo you will see Sister Mary Pascal accepting the keys from Edmund J. Zitzelberger, Knights of Columbus district deputy.  On the far left is Charles N. Natoli, Knights of Columbus Council 409 grand knight and Edward J. Master, local Chrysler-Plymouth dealer.  

Nine proud 'Sisters of St. Joseph' stand alongside

their new 1969 Plymouth Station Wagon...

The new Station Wagon was parked

conveniently here at their 3 story home;

St. Francis Convent at 207 S. Second St., Clearfield.

building razed in mid 1980's

March 30, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1900









Drive to Winburne take a look!








....this 'watering trough' is still visable !

The Triangular Landmark in Winburne, PA 

Back in the early 1900s before the automobile was gliding down the roads people used horses for their transportation.  During that era most visitors to the town of Winburne, Cooper Township, arrived by train, trolley or horse. 

Located in the center of the once bustling town was a large triangular watering trough that was built by Peale, Peacock and Kerr and the Pennsylvania Coal and Coke Company in about 1904 when the Winburne water lines were installed.  There was a water line that filled the trough for the horses, cattle and other living creatures that would need refreshed.   This was built at the bottom of the “Winburne – Lanse Hill” and still is there to this day.  

According to Garman Lutz in an article that appeared in The Progress in 1976, he said, “You didn’t see many places back then that didn’t have a horse and cow in the backyard.  Salesmen would come into town by train, rent a horse and buggy, and do business with the Winburne Bottling Co. which bottled root beer and other such sodas; the ice cream plant, or the meat market.”  

As time marched on and the sound of horse hoofs was lost to the sound of car horns, the watering trough was no longer needed. Around the time of the WWII the pipe distributing water was sealed up. 

As many other towns removed their local watering hole, Winburne’s has remained. 

In 1976, for the celebration of the Bicentennial of the United States, Mr. Emil Isaacson owned the property where the watering trough was located.  He planted it with red, white and blue petunias to mark the birth of our nation.

           Other community interests.....


Your form message has been successfully sent.
You have entered the following data:

State your comments regarding our 'Throwback Thursdays' throwbacks!

Please correct your input in the following fields:
Error while sending the form. Please try again later.

Note: Fields marked with * are required

Please be aware that the contents of this form are not encrypted

March 23, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1858

The Wallace House

corner N. 2nd & E. Locust Sts....until 1972






  William A. Wallace







Clearfield County’s first state registered landmark placed on the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission was known as the Wallace House.  Senator William A. Wallace built the 30 room house that stood prominently on the corner of East Locust and North Second Streets in 1858.  This house was owned and occupied by members of the Wallace family for approximately 100 years.  The house was also the home of two Clearfield County judges; Allison O. Smith, the senator’s son-in-law and W. Wallace Smith, his grandson.

The structure had a Tuscan Villa design, a type of Victorian architecture that was quite rare at the time in Pennsylvania.  The home contained many exquisite details; marble fireplaces, stained glass windows, Minton tiles, carved cherry banister and railings.  The house also featured inlaid parquet floors, window seats, carved walnut chair railings and ceiling high built-in book shelves and china cupboards.  One of the original features of the home was a piece of glass paneling in the door of the parlor that was etched with the likeness of William Wallace’s wife, Margaret (Shaw) Wallace.  Above the third floor was a cupola which served as an excellent spot to view the entire town.  

The yard and grounds were no exception to the extravagant home of the Senator.  Tennis courts were located where The Progress office building was once located.  The property also had a carriage house and stable in the same area.   A building that housed the caretaker stood on the site as well. The yard was surrounded by an iron fence and tall evergreen trees.  In the area of the former County National Bank Drive-In (now a paved parking lot) was the formal garden complete with a fountain.  

In 1956 the building was sold and it became a rental property with apartments and business offices occupying the once grand estate.  The building became the subject of much controversy in 1972 when it was sold to a developer and was ultimately demolished to make way for a Colonel Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant. Letters to the editor in The Progress newspaper appeared frequently with some of the community in favor of progress and others pleading for saving history.   

Before the building was razed, hundreds of people were welcomed to tour the 114 year old house one last time.  The house took on a festive appearance for the last duty of its long life.  Due to lack of electricity, candles and oil lamps were lit for the last look of this iconic Clearfield structure.  Community efforts to save this home resulted in the founding of the Clearfield Heritage Foundation.  

    ...after 114 years, 'The Wallace Walls Came Tumbling Down...'


March 16, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1923

2023 Marks, 100th Anniversary of the FARMALL TRACTOR

International engineers worked from the time of WW I

to make a truly universal tractor.


It would be able to have front, mid or rear-mounted implements and a pioneering tricycle front end for steering. 


Farmall was innovative in tractor design in many ways.


Model MD, in the early 1940s, was the first commercial tractor to start on gas and run on diesel.


In the 1950s, they produced the first tractors with torque amplifiers and the first 2-wheel drive tractor to exceed 100 horsepower.


In the early 1950s they produced their 1 millionth tractor,

a model M, and reached 5 million in 1974.

Some early models were gray, but in 1937 all models changed to the red that continues to be used today.


The change to red was for appearance and safety, since it improved visibility while they were being driven on roads to the fields.

The model H was widely used in Clearfield County.

There were 390,000 units produced nationwide during the 14-year production life from 1939 to 1954.   


     Photo #1 - Early Farmall Tractor.

                         (Iron wheels)
     Photo #2 - Farmall tractor on

                         Meckley Bros. Farm in LaJose, 1951.
     Photo #3-  Farmall 'M' tractor on

                        Harry Gearhart’s farm.
     Photo #4 - Farmall 'H' tractor bailing at

                         Blair Porter’s, July 1944.
     Photo #5 - Farmall 'H' tractor cutting corn silage at                         

                          Paul Forcey’s, September 1947.
     Photo #6 - Farmall 'H' tractor cutting grain on

                         W. V. Carr Farm, July 1944.

March 9, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1923

DuBois Maple Avenue Hospital - 

Pheobe Reed Tyler Memorial Nurses' Home

Celebrating Women’s History Month ...
                      Phebe Reed Tyler

The Maple Avenue Hospital in DuBois was granted a charter by the Court of Common Pleas of Clearfield County on May 6, 1912.  The land and $10,000 were donated by John E. DuBois for the development of the hospital.  The doors to Maple Avenue Hospital were opened on October 8, 1918.  

The Articles of Incorporation included “The educating and instructing of persons in the art of nursing.”  Phebe Tyler, being a woman of broad education, pledged $15,000 to be used for the Phebe Reed Tyler Memorial Nurses’ Home. When the initial donation was found to be insufficient, Phebe contributed more money and managed the project until it was completed even though she was mainly confined to her bed. The Phoebe Reed Tyler Memorial Nurses’ Home was opened in July 1923.  

At the time it opened, the building contained rooms for two students with running water in every room, baths, both shower and bathtubs.  There were private rooms for the supervisors, a large living room with fireplace, library and music room along with a comfortable porch.  The nursing school was affiliated with the Western Pennsylvania and Allegheny General Hospitals of Pittsburgh and by the Presbyterian Hospital of Philadelphia.  

Phebe Tyler was born April 10, 1843, the daughter of David and Isabell (Mahaffey) Tyler.  The village of Tyler was named for her father, one of the pioneer families that settled in Huston Township in 1848. David Tyler, realizing that his family should have a good education, employed a governess for his daughters, and Miss Phebe learned speak French and German with fluency. 
Miss Tyler also contributed greatly to welfare and charity.  She was an active member of the Presbyterian Church of Penfield and in her own community.  No one ever went by her home who was in need that was not helped.  

In the speech she delivered at the dedication for the Nurses’ Home, it was reported in The DuBois Express Miss Tyler said, “This building I have built, not for show, glory or advertisement, but for a nurses’ home.  For of all people who deserve a bed to sleep in and a place to rest, it is a nurse.”  

The building operated as a nurses’ school until 1932 when state regulations became too complicated. 

The building then served as doctors’ offices for many years. 

In 2018 the building was demolished for the expansion of the

Penn Highland DuBois East Campus Behavioral Health Hospital. 

February 23, 2023    -    'Throwback Thursday'  to 1972

 RAMEY, Ukraniam Church 

    If Ramey’s Saint Mary’s Annunciation Ukrainian Catholic Church’s Bell Tower Could Talk...

     One of the most beautiful structures you will see in Clearfield County is St. Mary’s Annunciation Ukrainian Catholic Church located in Ramey.

  In July of 1911, Father Peter Luchetchko with his committee consisting of Dmytro Bungo, Joseph Yaleczko and Michael Haman, contracted Gaetano Tiracordia, an Italian stonemason and contractor from Madera, PA to build the church.


    The stone was quarried in Madera and transported to Ramey via mules and wagons.  Over 200 pound cut stones (each) were lifted into place for the three story high church.  The structure was completed in 1914.

It was Sunday, May 7th, 1972, when the Ukrainian Church was just about to begin 11 am mass smoke and flames began filling the church.  Only seconds after the church had been completely evacuated by the 175 parishioners, the smoke blocked the front vestibule. Father Walter Wysochansky, pastor, said in The Progress interview, “It was a miracle!


     Thank God, that everyone got out.” The church suffered extensive damage.  Fr. Wysochansky took on the enormous task of rebuilding the burnt portions of the church.  The church was reroofed, reinsulated and plastered.  The interior was gutted and replaced.

The bell tower was near completion in July of 1973, just a little over a year after the disastrous fire. 

St. Mary’s Ukrainian Catholic Church still stands as a beacon of light in Ramey with a firm foundation and the beautiful high bell tower that has weathered many storms.

Print | Sitemap
© Clearfield County Historical Society